Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memorium

He was my brother's best friend. Short, funny, loving, friendly, honorable. He was the oldest of three, two loving parents, younger brother and sister. I was about 16 or so the first time he hit on me, lol. He never stopped hitting on me after that, but I just thought of him as a second brother, I loved him, just not in the way he wanted.

When I was pregnant I went to visit him and his wife and new baby. He spent an hour rubbing my swollen belly because he just loved pregnancy and feeling a new life start. I think he just liked having an excuse to touch me for an hour, lol.

At his funeral I cried for his family, his friends, his children, his disease, his broken spirit, the war that ended but never left his soul.

They buried him in his uniform. I left him a note in his pocket to read on the other side.

To my second brother who served in the Gulf and also my uncle who served in Vietnam, I remember you this Memorial day and every day. Thank you for loving me and doing your best to protect us all.

3 comments:

Curious said...

I'm glad that your brother's friend and your uncle have you to remember them. Too many times people are more concerned with what's cooking out back or at someone elses house or what's going on sale at the mall and forget why Memorial Day is a holiday, to honor those who have honored us by their sacrifice.

clnmike said...

Peace be upon them.

RunningMom said...

Thanks guys, ::Hugs::