Friday, December 12, 2008

I Adopted A Girl!!!

Ok, not for forever, just for Christmas!

So after feeling lousy about the season and like there was more I needed to be doing this holiday, I contacted an organization in my community that I thought I could help. They service over a thousand families and organize the adopt-a-family for Christmas program. They had all of their families accounted for and then got word that one more family needed help.

I sent an e-mail yesterday, and within 10 minutes "Bob" was calling my desk to talk to me about this family. There are 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl who were just adopted by their grandparents. Since this family didn't have sponsors for Christmas, the administration team decided that they would adopt this famiy of 5. "Bob" invited me to join the administration team in sponsoring this family and I happily accepted!

In my e-mail to "Bob" I mentioned that while I would be willing to sponsor any family, one with a little girl would be especially nice for me since I have been buying boy-stuff for 13 years. Just my luck (or God's hands at work) this family includes a 4 year old little girl, and they are letting me buy just for her - Yay!

I went online today and bought her a red coat with a fuzzy hood, 2 pair of pants, 2 shirts, a micro-fleece 1/2 zip coat, a hat and mittens. I still need to get some socks, boots, a toy and a book or two or three (you can never have too many books!)

Guess what - IT'S CHRISTMAS! And I'm excited!

For any of you feeling the way I did the other day - go find something, anything to give. It's made a HUGE difference in my mental state and it's bringing my heart alive.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You bought her "2 shits"? Whatever will she do with those? ;-)

RunningMom said...

MWS - Nice catch, corrected!

clnmike said...

That was nice of you.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful thing you did!!!
may you get back all the love ten fold.
peace,
cas608 (the girl)

Darius T. Williams said...

cool! We have something similar going on at my job too!

Curious said...

I applaud you and I know you didn't do it expecting anything, but hope the little girl appreciates what gets and finds some way to let you know.

Cyncere said...

The REAL meaning of Christmas... we too have "adopted" one of my co-workers families for Christmas. She (co-worker) took in five of her nieces and nephews this...and she's single... as cliche-ish as it sounds --its a blessing to be a blessing!

One Man’s Opinion said...

I am so glad you are happy about the holidays, but just for the record. Little girls suck to shop for. I had to by a gift for a co-workers little girl for her birthday, Manny was going to, and I thought i'd go crazy. What the hell do girls like anyway? Nothing, fun, that's what. LOL.

RunningMom said...

Mike: Thanks, it's selfish really, it helped me way more than she will ever know.

GirlCas: Thanks ::hugs::

DTW: So which family member do you always go for and why?

Curious: Aww she's just a little sprite, but I'm sure someday she will pay it forward.

Cyncere: Oh my gosh, 5 kids! She needs all the help she can get!

Oneman: lol @ you! The toy I bought was a dog in a little carrier with veterinarian equipment.. like a doctor kit for animals. Someday maybe she will grow up to be a doctor :) And for the record, girls stuff is fun! Ever tried a hula-hoop? lol

tiltedhalo said...

What a giving spirit you have...such a beautiful thing to do for this family.