Sunday, December 28, 2008

Frustration

Sometimes I get so frustrated with my love life.

2 months ago, the one I love and I had a conversation about "where this is going." He said "I'm almost ready to take it to the next level, commit, have an official girlfriend, start having our kids around each other, etc." Great, me too. I was so excited and scared of the prospect of a real relationship. Happy to finally have the kids together, thinking about all the things that we could do and how much more time we would have. Since he has his kids every other week, the weeks he has them we don't see each other at all.

I thought things would naturally progress from there... Yet a whole month went by, 2 of 2 dates were cancelled and I was becoming increasingly frustrated.

About a month after our talk, I finally got him on the phone on a Sunday afternoon. I told him how I felt about not seeing him for a month. I wanted to know what was going on? I thought we were taking it to the next level and now I haven't seen you for a month. I have all the patience in the world so long as we're on the same page, but if we're not - If I'm not what you want and who you want to be with then you need to let me know. I've never asked any man to be somewhere he didn't want to be.

I finally told him I love him, and I told him we have known each other long enough that he should know whether or not he sees me in a place of importance in his life. You should already know if you can see me as your girlfriend. You should already know if you can see me as your wife. You should already know. And if you can't see me in that role, then you need to let me go. Two hours later, he said he wasn't ready to fully commit to a relationship, but he might be ready soon, he isn't sure, he's got some things he needs to work on. He said he thought we should "table" our relationship. Really? That's what you want to do? A month ago you were ready to take it to the next level and now you're not?

When a man tells me he isn't ready for a relationship I hear "You're not the one". This change of heart instantly had me thinking there was another woman on the scene. Of course I asked, of course he said no.

When I am with this man, I feel his love for me, so not for one minute did I believe that he really wanted to end it.. but, since I didn't know what was really going on, I figured what the hell, let me find out for sure.

So I asked him if he would be willing to tell me to my face that he wanted to table the relationship. 3 days later we met at Panera Bread over coffee.. We talked about everything else but what we were there to talk about. On the way out he helped me with my coat and walked me to my car. He looked at me, kissed my forehead, hugged me, kissed my forehead again, said "I'll talk to you soon" and started walking away.

I was like, wait - wasn't there a purpose for this meeting? He smiled and said "yeah, so I could see you" I said - That's it? He said "yeah, that's it" I said - You're sure? He said "yeah, I'll talk to you soon" - Uh huh.. ok.

I waited about 30 minutes and called him - "So..." I said. He said, "I think we should talk about it some more." I said, so you don't want to table it? He said, "no." Ok, we can talk about it some more.

That was about 3 weeks ago or so. We've talked regularly on the phone since then. Sometimes for a while, sometimes just for a quick minute. We made plans to get together last night. I went to his place where we talked and had a few beers. I had a party I needed to show my face at, but with him was where I really wanted to be. I had to leave to go to the party (he wouldn't go with me... what is up with that? I'll save that for another day). I returned to him an hour later where we had some more beer, talked and watched tv.

He fell asleep on the couch with his arms wrapped around me. I started playing with his nipples and rubbing his head. He was like "woman, stop that" lol. He got up, said he needed to go to bed so he could get up early for church. I thought he was going to send me on my way, but he flipped the script on me and said, let me get you a t-shirt to sleep in.

We undressed in the dark - he usually undresses me in a passionate frenzy, but this time he was keeping his distance. He tossed me a t-shirt, I took off my jeans revealing a black thong. He was like, hold up! Flipped the light on real quick to get a better look and then shut the light off.. lol.

I finished undressing, put his t-shirt on and got in the bed. I spooned my back-side to his front side and he teased me telling me to stay on my side of the bed. Two can play that game... I scooted over to my side and layed on my stomach giving him the dark silouette of my ample rear under the covers.

It wasn't long before his hands were all over me and his tounge was tracing across my ears and neck. He had me melting into the bed with his lips and tounge and hands.

We slept for a few hours until it was time for him to get up for church and me to get home. "Call me so I know you made it home ok" he said.

I'm frustrated with us. I'm frustrated that he won't commit. I'm frustrated that I'm 35 and I feel like it's never going to happen for me. I'm frustrated that I feel like my life is incomplete without a partner to share it with. I'm frustrated that my life is passing me by, day by day, year by year and I can't ever get past the "potential girlfriend or girlfriend" stage.

I'm afraid that I'm going to end up alone. No more kids, no husband, no lover who really knows me inside and out. No family to call my own. No one to come home to, to hold me, to love me. I'm frustrated that I know our chances of working out are slim based on his current behavior, but that I still believe it can.

I love this man. I just don't know if I should let go or keep chasing pavement.

12 comments:

uglyblackjohn said...

If you need to talk about taking it to the next level, it won't go there.
You shouldn't have to talk about the kids getting together, it should just happen.
If you have enough doubts to have to have these conversations, it's probably for a reason.

Anonymous said...

Cut the Kite string and move on. You can't make anyone love you no matter what you do.

Curious said...

I hate when people give me advice that I don't want to hear; but sometimes when a man tells you something in words or even better in actions, then he's telling you what he is really about. Listen to him, he doesn't want to be around 24/7 or he would be there. Think carefully before you pursue this any further and remember you have another who will be involved in this as well.

Dave Van Buren said...

I'ma take this post as you getting stuff off your chest and you not really wanting any advice. Good luck with it though.

clnmike said...

You know what you got to do.

Anonymous said...

Honey
I know. I know how it feels to invest your heart in soul in someone who isn't where you are emotionally, or is there, but won't move any closer. He wants you near, but how near? He doesn't want to end the relationship, but he doesn't want to commit to you fully.
I recommend (and this is just a recommendation) that you put all that love you have for HIM, into YOU. Just feel good about YOU. You are a single Mom, holding it together for your family. Count your blessings : )
But it also sounds to me that the warning bells, the sirens, the whistles, the flashing lights and the computer generated voice that accompanies the "test" of the emergency broadcast system is going off in the distance. Listen to it...do not betray what your soul tells you.
Peace and Love,
Cas

Candles said...

You already know what's up. When someone wants something bad enough they make every effort to get it. From what I hear you're the one making all the effort. Him disappearing for a month was the biggest clue right there. Don't ever think u won't find love, because you will. It's just that sometimes it ends up being with someone other than who you thought it would be.

Jameil said...

no. no. no. he's stringing you along and that is NOT cool. he cannot go back and forth with your feelings. idk if i want to make you my gf? no. and you shouldn't have to chase him down to get an answer on where you stand. let it go. get out earlier rather than later. you already know the longer you hold on the more it hurts when you let go.

JACK said...

I have my own story to tell: I spent the last few weeks giving advice to an old college buddy of mine who can't make up his mind between two women. One totally caters to him at home and is what he needs there, but the sex is mediocre. The other, the sex is ROCKIN'. The former is his girlfriend, the other an ex- ... I was unsuccessful at getting him to leave them both and fix HIMSELF, and he pretty much went back and forth with his girlfriend, treating her much like you say you have been treated. She ended up sending him a note to the effect of "I deserve much better than this ..." and forced him to make a decision. Her exact words to his face? "You have me now, but you won't have me for long."

100% true and I have all the text messages to prove it ... that's MY story.

RunningMom said...

UBJ: We're grown, he's been through a divorce, there are 3 people other than us to consider (our kids) In addition, not too long ago he was seriously considering relocating, so a conversation needed to be had. I don't like to assume anything...

Freeman: This I know is true.

Curious: I understand completely. I have never dated anyone who has their kids full-time before. This was a new experience for me. I have met his children and he has met my son. They just dont know we're dating.

SuperDave: Thanks - It was a vent, but I don't mind a different perspective.

Mike: Last time I walked away I missed him every day for 5 months. I don't want to do it again. Damn.

GirlCas: I really need to just do my thing and stop trying to figure this out. Bring on the guitar lessons :)

Candles: Is there anything wrong with the woman being the one who knows what she wants and sets out to get it? He admits he didn't do a good job picking his ex-wife. That makes him nervous. And I think - well I picked you. And it's true. I picked him. I'm ok with that.

Jamiel: I have a hard time not being in control. Letting go is hard!

Jack: Welcome! What happened to the love? The one I love already knows his time is running out. He comes back into town today, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

JACK said...

OMG! My bad!

*hugs blackshoes, whitesocks*

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?