Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday night I went out with the girls for dinner and drinks. We were going to go dancing, but it was raining and cold outside so the bar scene was dead. Oh well, we still had fun!

On Saturday we had an indoor garage sale at my son's school... again, it was cold and raining outside so no one came out.. I sold 3 pairs of pants and a baseball cap. The one I love and I were supposed to go out to dinner for my birthday, but he had something important come up, so we had to cancel our plans. I decided to stay in and cook so I tried the Mac & Cheese recipe from DTW's food blog.

I greased my pan:


Then boiled my noodles:


I shredded 4 kinds of cheese:


Made a roux:


Added spices and cheese and created a pan of yummy goodness!



I found this recipe to be really, really good flavor-wise, but a little too greasy (versus creamy). Not sure if one of the cheeses was to blame? I think that a lower oil content cheese might be necessary to get the consistancy I prefer.
Then I made some fried/baked chicken. I breaded the chicken and browned both sides in some olive oil on the stove, then put the whole pan in the oven for 50 minutes. The chicken was so good!


I also made some sweet potatoes just because.

Here's the final plating DTW style (minus the cool triangle plates):


On Sunday we raked leaves just before it started to snow.
Then we went to the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History so my mom could see the King Tutankhamun exhibit. She is facinated with King Tut and the exhibit was great but they won't let you take pictures so this is all I have to show you of our trip!


After the museum we went to a little restaurant where dill pickle soup is on the menu. My mom swore that it was great, so I gave it a try. It really was good, kind of tasted like cabbage soup. Here's a pic:
Even though I didn't get to see the one I love, it was still a good weekend. Hope you enjoyed yours!

9 comments:

clnmike said...

Let me try that and watch me burn the kitchen down.

uglyblackjohn said...

Dill pickle soup?

RunningMom said...

mike: so long as you're insured, it will be ok. Just keep a fire extinguisher nearby, lol

UBJ: I thought the same thing! Like really, how can this possibly be good? But it was!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm a little skeptical about the dill pickle soup, but I'll take your word for it.

Your chicken and mac & cheese looked good.

Darius T. Williams said...

a little too oily, huh? I've never noticed - and it's probably because I don't mind the oil - lol...who knows. You did a good job - it looks great!

RunningMom said...

DTW - My mom was mad I put cayenne pepper in it, lol - I like the extra kick. I think that the Provolone might be the culprit for the oil.. I might trade Montery Jack (or pepper jack) for the Provolone next time & see what happens.

Dave Van Buren said...

Mac and Cheese looks good. I might have to give it a shot. Dill pickle soup sounds crazy.. lol

Anonymous said...

I nearly put my head through the computer screen to stick my entire face into that dish of mac and cheese and vacuum it all up. And fried chicken too!!!

DELICIOUS...

as I sit here eating salad : (

RunningMom said...

Caspar608 - LOL @ you!