Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A change we can believe in

I paid a visit to Torrance's (aka RDB) blog today. I didn't like all that I saw (please be forwarned of graphic pics before you visit), but I did like this statement that he made in response to a comment on his blog:

"That's what makes America great, we can walk side by side and not see eye to eye, it's the freedom to say it, I will never dislike a person because we dont agree"

Amen to that. I'm happy about and enlightened by all viewpoints. I'm not the deepest thinker in the world, and my blog isn't at all serious - but like many readers, I appreciate a good debate.
I'm happy for Obama and his family, I am happy that my son has someone who looks like him, is left handed and loves basketball like him as the President of the U.S.

But that doesn't mean I have forgotten all of the rest of the ills in the world.

Everyone needs balance and everyone has their own reality.

For me, I watched and celebrated today because even though it shouldn't be a big deal - our first Bi-racial / African American president got elected into office! And that IS a big deal. We have changed the face of the nation forever. It's been a long time coming, and I couldn't be more proud of our nation.

Imagine how much better we'll be as a whole when we come together to make future changes. We have seen for ourselves what we can do when we collectively exclaim "Yes we can!"

Think we would have the same attitude or spirit if McCain was in office? Nope.

Let Obama be who he is meant to be: Our leader, our face, our hope.

And then we - all of us - every last one of us, need to get to work. For ourselves, for our neighbors, for our families, for our country.

We can't help others heal if we're still broken ourselves.

10 comments:

clnmike said...

"We can't help others heal if we're still broken ourselves."

Exactly.

uglyblackjohn said...

^^^That's the most common problem - failing to realize our own short comings.^^^
But no...
McCain would have been bussiness as usual.

Curious said...

"We can't help others heal if we're still broken ourselves."

I like your argument, it's a nice sentiment. However, if I was a surgeon who's big toe was broken would that mean that I couldn't operate on a patient to save his life? If I were a lawyer who just received some traffic tickets, would that mean that I couldn't be an advocate for a woman accused of some serious crime? If the roof of my house was blown off in a hurricaine, would that mean that I couldn't help you to put out the fire in yours?

Somehow I don't think we can wait until things are perfect in our house before looking at the troubles of others, especially if they are doing it with our dimes. The ills and emergencies of the world will not hold back until life in the US is where we want it to be, you only have to look at most of the century to see that.

The time to act is always now.

Curious said...

When I say century, I mean to say 20th century. You'd have thought I would have realized that ended a few years ago by now.

Dave Van Buren said...

If nothing else Obama's presidency gives America a chance to be the super power for good it once was.

Anonymous said...

standing ovation.

I completely agree.

Let the healing begin.

Jazzy said...

"And then we - all of us - every last one of us, need to get to work. For ourselves, for our neighbors, for our families, for our country."

This was the sentiment of Obama's speech...and I couldn't agree more.

RunningMom said...

ClnMike: Thanks ;)

UBJ: I don't even like to think about it!

Curious: Yes, on a micro level we can still help our neighbors and each other without being 100% fixed ourselves. But what I was trying to portray was more about the fractured state of relations in the U.S. The lack of hope, the lack of spirit, the lack of inspiration, the feeling of being a failed nation - we cannot inspire others to be greater than what they are until we have healed.

I don't think that Obama is the be all - end all, but I do think that his patience and kindness and integrity are inspirational to many - myself included. With his leadership and hard work, we can feel whole again, the better we feel, the more we will be able to give of ourselves to others.

SuperDave: I'm hoping we can get even better!

GirlCas: ::blushing:: Thanks, now sit down!

O.Diva: Absolutely, it's infectious in a good way!

D.J. said...

I promised i was going to go the rest of the week and not say the name of 43 for fear it would infect all this positive energy. I am very excited about my country right now.

Anonymous said...

This message, is matchless))), it is very interesting to me :)