Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Diversity Rules

From the NY Times Online: Click here for full article





"...Cousins journeyed from the South Carolina town where the first lady’s great-great-grandfather was born into slavery, while the rabbi in the family came from the synagogue... The president and first lady’s siblings were there, too, of course: his Indonesian-American half-sister, who brought her Chinese-Canadian husband, and her brother, a black man with a white wife." (J. Kantor, 2009)

"The family that produced Barack and Michelle Obama is black and white and Asian, Christian, Muslim and Jewish. They speak English; Indonesian; French; Cantonese; German; Hebrew; African languages including Swahili, Luo and Igbo; and even a few phrases of Gullah, the Creole dialect of the South Carolina Lowcountry." (J. Kantor, 2009)

This is why so many Americans identify with the Robinson / Obama family. Diversity is a wonderful thing.


9 comments:

uglyblackjohn said...

You know...
I think so too.
This looks like my family - it may be why I have a problem settling on any one definition of "Black".

RunningMom said...

Mine too...everytime we get a new ethnicity I get super excited. You should see the pictures on my fridge.. lol

My cousin and his Laotian gf are going to have a baby this year - a new mix, yippie!

uglyblackjohn said...

Oh wait...
I need to have kids with a half Korean/ half Jew.
Then my kids could be a bit of everything.

D.J. said...

I feel left out.. there is only 3 of us left...and were just black with a tiny drop of Native/Pre American

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah that's real diversity. My family's big but we're not that diversified.

RunningMom said...

UBJ: lol @ you - I'm sure there is a Korean / Jew out there somewhere. Now you just have to decide if they have to be Jewish by ethnicity or Jewish by religion...

DJ & B&T: lol - get to mixing!

Rashan Jamal said...

My family is diverse. Black, Negro and African American. LOL I'm kidding, my cousin's aren't very diverse, but they def got the black and white thing going on.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

to bad jeezy and jay z aint get this message

clnmike said...

I'll keep mine in the black thanks.